Hi everyone! Here is beta 6. This release fixes some important bugs and adds some final features.
- New: Kommander GUI finished (advanced dialog)
- New: IE7 proxy configuration hack (see below)
- Improved: download output
- Improved: other programs should find IE now (as Jim suggested here)
- Improved: all temp files now go to ~/.ies4linux/tmp to avoid complications
- Other bug fixes (1, 2, 3, 4)
About IE7 proxy configuration hack
The hack: as noted many times by Jim Burns, we can “pause” installation before installing IE7, launch IE6, configure proxy, and continue with the installation. So, this is now an “official hack” 😀
Here is what you have to do:
- Run IEs4Linux with this flag enabled:
- After IE6 is installed, it will open. Go to Internet Options dialog and configure your proxy
- Close IE6 and IE7 installation should proceed
- Final step: comment here what you think about his hack and if it worked for you
And just a final note: the command-line option is large to remember everybody that this is a hack. 😛
About programs translations
I updated our online translation system, so all translations need upgrades (guys, I promise no more major updates to translations soon 😛 ).
But, as I said before, my main concern now is how these localizations are being displayed in so different languages and encodings. I’m testing everything here in my Ubuntu Edgy box but I think some of you may have problems (specially those that don’t use UTF8).
So, I need feedback on this. Please tell me if IEs4Linux user interface works well in your language. If it does not work, run:
./ies4linux --no-localization. This will force an English interface.
I guess some locales like Hebrew will simply not work… but I need feedback 🙂
– I need feedback about Menu and Desktop icons installed using xdg-utils. Is this working? [Wine WWN-Issue 321 has an interesting discussion about this]
– In the past I was using the ‘source’ command to import files (and we had some compatibility issues). Now I use the ‘period operator’. Did this fix compatibility problems? (OSX has this operator? other shells?)
– Also WWN-322 has a mention to ‘ies4linux’ when talking about IE Developer Toolbar Beta 3. I think this is the first “official” mention to ies4linux on winehq.org. 🙂